FAQFAQ   RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
XCOM is getting a remake!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topic Starter Message
Cthulhu
Ace

PostPosted: January 28th, 2012    Post subject: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

And not a FPS, a real strategy remake:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/february-cover-revealed-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

Christian Knudsen
Administrator

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

Yep! I've been following the onslaught of interviews and images over at GI. I am so pumped for this game. Grin

Cthulhu
Ace

PostPosted: January 30th, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

Yeah.
I wonder if it'll run in Dosbox? Heh

My computer will most likely not be able to run it anyway.

Christian Knudsen
Administrator

PostPosted: January 30th, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

Dosbox, no. Xbox, yes. Grin

Tontan el Tartaro

PostPosted: February 1st, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

Are you aware of the differences between our beloved UFO: Enemy Unknown and this, right?
    Hex grid
    4 men squad
    Units limited to two actions per turn
    Unlimited ammo
    No inventory
    Skill based progression (instead of stat based progression)
    Only one base
    Scripted missions
    Cartoony graphics
    Etc

Due to that changes to the X-COM core formula, I think I'd rather stick with Xenonauts (even though they increased the size of vehicles to 3x3, added combat shields and you can only defend against psionic attacks, not research and use them).

Christian Knudsen
Administrator

PostPosted: February 1st, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

I'm aware of all those changes and still looking forward to it. It's not the same game and I wouldn't want it to be. You can always go replay the original X-COM, but I'm looking forward to sitting on my couch, turning down the lights and diving into a new turnbased X-COM game on my Xbox (my PC won't be able to run it!). Grin

Also, most missions are randomly generated like the original game. There will just be some scripted story missions. And the 4 man squad is just at the start of the game. And I don't think hex grids have been confirmed and the screenshots don't show them? And are you saying the original didn't have cartoony graphics?

Rabbit
Experienced

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

I'm with CK, if I wanted the exact same game I'd just replay the originals, especially since I actually preferred Terror from the Deep and that's not getting remade.
Honestly, XCOM fans are pretty spoiled for choice at the moment, with three different XCOM inspired games in development to suit a variety of tastes from the diehard fans, to people who want something a little more modern and streamlined, to people who want something completely different.
We should really be glad we're getting so much attention.

Cthulhu
Ace

PostPosted: February 7th, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

@Rabbit, what three games are you talking about? (I'm not up to date on the game community).

Only four man team? Well, I always used a small team, to get their skill up, but I'm thinking syndicate, with only four.

I don't mind hexagonal squares. I loved them in freeciv.

Rabbit
Experienced

PostPosted: February 7th, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

Cthulhu wrote:
@Rabbit, what three games are you talking about? (I'm not up to date on the game community).

Xenonauts, the Firaxis remake in the original post, and the XCOM FPS respectively.

Cthulhu
Ace

PostPosted: February 8th, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

Xenonauts looks cool.
Or rather like a x-com remake (that wont play on my computer).

I think I've played more TFTD than UFO. Maybe because TFTD is so much harder. Maybe I had a different difficult setting, but those aliens just wont die. Best strategy for TFTD (for me) was to drill them to death, and any alien out of reach, I just take over with psi-amp.

In UFO you could just shoot auto-fire, three burst, and have a bunch of time units left. And most aliens did find the Plasma cannon quite lethal.

What bothers me is that when I played the final base on TFTD you cant save, and dosbox crashed (like first and only time) just in the beginning of the victory movie. BLAST!

For UFO, I saved just before I chucked the hand grenade on the giant brain, so I've watched that move many times.

Iltsuger
Veteran

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

Yeah, looking forward to Xenonauts myself.

Not sure I share your enthusiasm for Terror from the Deep since it felt a bit like a reskin to me (with the added nuisance of weapons that don't work in certain areas), although it was a novelty for me when I played it... that is, until I get frequent crashes. Not sure if that was my hardware but I still was forced to give up. Still wish it'd taken place on terraformed Mars rather than Earth again, would have made more thematic sense to me.

Cthulhu
Ace

PostPosted: April 17th, 2012    Post subject: Re: XCOM is getting a remake! Reply with quote

Preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkJ7ew2rZgw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJdPBEGYwoQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp

I think I'll just stick with my old one. Time Units is essential to the game. I don't see why they had to remove that.

And a recent interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_887213&v=dSRtnEhhzzo&src_vid=I0YawsRM_nA&feature=iv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ascii Sector Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum